American Progress has an immediate opening for a Policy Analyst for Financial Regulation and Corporate Governance on the Economic Policy team. The successful candidate will have expertise in banking, capital markets, or corporate governance; familiarity with existing federal regulatory and supervisory approaches; and a commitment to investor protection, market integrity, and the overall competitiveness and inclusiveness of the economy. This position requires strong quantitative skills, experience using economic data and research to make compelling public policy arguments, meticulousness, comfort with a fast-paced environment, and a passion for advancing progressive economic policy. The Policy Analyst’s primary role will be to conceive of and produce rigorous analyses that inform current policy debates.
The Policy Analyst will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” They will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in strengthening the team’s policy work and supporting American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
- Conduct and support research and analysis on financial regulatory and supervisory policy, corporate governance and the incorporation of climate risks, and other social or governance considerations into these policies.
- Research legislative and administrative financial regulatory, supervisory, and corporate governance policy.
- Actively collaborate with other teams within the Inclusive Growth Department, including those working on a range of economic issues.
- Coordinate and plan meetings and events.
- Draft policy reports, short policy columns, and other publications.
- Ensure factual accuracy of products.
- Maintain expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Three years of relevant work experience related to financial markets and regulation or corporate governance, or an advanced degree in an economic policy-related field.
- Demonstrated interest in how financial markets and business corporations intersect with issues such as equity, the natural environment, and diversity.
- Ability to understand economic issues and communicate them effectively
- Flexibility in responding to team and organizational priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Training or experience in one or more commonly used statistical software packages such as SAS, Stata, R, and Python is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $56,000 and is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.