American Progress is seeking an Email Marketing Associate to help promote progressive policies and ideas among targeted audiences. The Email Marketing Associate will be a part of the Digital Strategy team, which is responsible for marketing CAP’s work to highly segmented audiences, including elected officials; national, state, and local advocates; policy organizations and think tanks; and more.
The ideal candidate is a team player who has experience in online communications and an interest in leveraging email to grow, educate, and engage audiences. We are looking for someone who understands the technical and design aspects of email marketing as well as the use of email to reach different audiences effectively. This person must be a fast learner who is passionate about progressive values, has excellent attention to detail, and is skilled at managing multiple tasks in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
In your cover letter, please describe your experience working in online communications, including which email marketing software, databases, or other tools you’ve used. Please also state the extent of your HTML abilities.
- Draft audience-appropriate summary text to market CAP’s work and code emails in HTML based on templates (including image cropping if needed) for a variety of email types, including newsletters, event invitations, report releases, and more.
- Produce email-related landing pages for campaigns, such as advocacy forms, and assist in the production of other digital marketing vehicles such as lightboxes and other email sign-up forms.
- Manage the email send process from start to finish, working with several teams to finalize content, QA, and schedule.
- Assist with audience segmentation for email sends.
- Assist with keeping the email calendar up to date with current statuses.
- Collaborate closely with teammates to translate policy ideas into email marketing and maintain our high-quality email production process.
- Monitor main CAP reply inboxes and fulfill unsubscribe requests; perform other list health tasks as needed.
- Work with the Manager of Digital Engagement and Audience Retention to train and support CAP marketing platform users; maintain internal marketing platform user community.
- Represent the Digital Strategy team in trainings and meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Three to five years of experience in online communications and email marketing, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization
- Working knowledge of HTML to produce emails, landing pages, and similar outputs based on designed and established templates
- Experience working with an email marketing platform such as Engaging Networks, MailChimp, Constant Contact, Salsa, or EveryAction
- Experience with metrics reporting, with particular emphasis on outreach effectiveness, as well as digital marketing metrics more generally
- Ability to craft messaging for different marketing needs, including report summaries, action campaigns, and fundraising
- Superb attention to detail
- Experience and skill in managing multiple tasks and projects over a tight time frame while producing high-quality results such as campaign launches, email newsletters and other sends on regular schedules, and event marketing
- Ability to think on your feet and make tricky judgment calls on a regular basis such as scheduling email releases vis-à-vis events in the news cycle in collaboration with colleagues bringing a variety of expert perspectives
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including proofreading skills
- Self-starter with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Commitment to American Progress’ values and ideals
The following are not required but are a plus:
- Knowledge of email design best practices
- CSS experience
- Knowledge of website analytics and digital marketing
- Experience with Salesforce or a similar CRM
- Photoshop or other image editing experience
- Familiarity with progressive public policy
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a starting salary of $50,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.