American Progress is seeking candidates for the position of Executive Assistant for the Communications team. The Executive Assistant will support the Executive Vice President for Communications and Strategy with scheduling and administrative duties and support the broader Communications team with administrative tasks, media strategy, and research support as needed and as time allows. This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible individual whom the staff can rely on to work independently and collaboratively to deliver high-quality support.
The right candidate will demonstrate an ability to multitask and set priorities in a fast-paced environment. Applicants must have excellent research and organizational skills and pay careful attention to deadlines and follow-up communications. Strong verbal and written communications are a must, and basic knowledge of the ever-changing media landscape will aid this candidate in succeeding. Applicants should also be motivated to develop the skills needed to succeed as a communications professional.
- Provides administrative support for the Executive Vice President for Communications and Strategy, including scheduling, booking travel, preparing research memos for media appearances, and other tasks as needed. These duties comprise a little more than half of this person’s time.
- Maintains the press team’s product and event calendar and runs the daily team meeting.
- Formats, records, and distributes the Center’s daily media clips, including the archiving and analysis of coverage.
- Assists in the hiring and supervision of the department’s interns (one in the fall semester, one in the spring semester, and one in the summer.)
- Assists in coordinating press outreach strategies for the release of CAP products and public events.
- Assists in coordinating logistics and preparation documents for media appearances for CAP staff.
- Creates, edits, and manages reporter and media contact lists in Cision, our media database service.
- Fields media inquiries and monitors the Center’s email accounts for media inquiries.
- Helps manage logistics for press calls.
- Processes and submits the department’s financial authorization forms, travel authorization forms, and check requests.
- Schedules and organizes meeting space for interdepartmental and intradepartmental meetings.
- Assist in compiling briefing materials for events, television, and speeches.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least one year of work experience in a customer service, media, or administrative support role
- Excellent interpersonal skills as well as oral and written communication skills that allow one to interact professionally and diplomatically with a wide range of staff and external stakeholders
- Interest in the Washington, D.C., and national political and media landscape
- Superb research and writing abilities to draft professional emails to staff and leadership
- Self-starter who takes initiative, asks questions, and seeks direction as needed
- Ability to anticipate the needs of the Executive Vice President, plan meetings, and prepare podcast materials
- Ability to follow up on daily meetings and tasks, plan ahead, understand priorities, and deliver results on a daily basis
- Ability to understand and adapt to constantly changing priorities and urgent requests
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the team’s overall administrative organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of Cision, WordPress, and/or Salesforce is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $40,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.