The Executive Policy Associate manages a significant workload as strategically and effectively as possible across all policy departments, teams, and American Progress’ five cross-cutting priorities:
• Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
• Building an economy for all
• Securing a sustainable climate
• Advancing racial equity and justice
• Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
This position calls for a clear communicator with stellar judgment and discretion who can manage important relationships and projects; is highly organized and detail-oriented; maintains the ability to prioritize competing demands; and provides timely and concise information. The right candidate will demonstrate an ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment. Applicants must have excellent research and organizational skills and pay careful attention to deadlines and follow-up communications.
- Provide administrative support for the Executive Vice President for Policy, including scheduling, booking travel, preparing research memos, notetaking, and other tasks as needed.
- Create, manage, and track team policy and project planning documents.
- Draft, edit, and proof documents.
- Help manage relationships and communicate with Executive Vice President for Policy direct reports and project coordinators.
- Communicate directly across and outside American Progress on behalf of the Executive Vice President for Policy, in a representational capacity and/or as a drafter, as needed.
- Handle special projects and other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two to four years of prior experience in customer service, administrative support, policy or political research, or another relevant role.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills to interact professionally and diplomatically with a wide range of staff and external stakeholders.
- Sensitivity in navigating progressive politics and policies.
- Displays willingness and curiosity to learn about new areas and subjects.
- Exceptionally well-organized and detail oriented.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not part of the bargaining unit and is budgeted for approximately $50,000 annually.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.