American Progress is seeking a highly motivated, creative professional with a strong communication and organizing background for a Story Bank Campaign Associate position for the Center for American Progress Action Fund. CAP Action is an independent, nonpartisan education and advocacy organization dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through ideas and action. CAP Action animates the stakes of political and policy debates by driving new analysis of key issues and existing research that demonstrates the value of progressive solutions and quantifies the true cost of conservative policies. With deep partnerships in Washington, D.C., and across the country, CAP Action arms state and national allies with the tools necessary to promote progressive policies.
American Progress has an immediate opening for a term-limited Story Bank Campaign Associate to join the CAP Action War Room’s growing Story Bank team. The Campaign Associate will be responsible for finding, vetting, and developing content on compelling storytellers, underscoring the need for progressive policy solutions and highlighting the ways in which families would benefit. The Campaign Associate will primarily work on a project focused on the need to strengthen long-term care and invest in a workforce to meet the needs of families throughout the country.
- Reach out to and vet storytellers on policy issues, particularly stories of families struggling to find timely and high-quality long-term care for aging parents.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with storytellers.
- Draft press releases, op-eds, letters to the editors, and a range of written products Work with the Story Bank and Communications teams to help place those products.
- Work with the Digital team to develop content, such as quote graphics, based on strong statements from storytellers.
- Coordinate logistics—including developing prep materials and itineraries—for storytellers who testify on Capitol Hill or participate in other congressional events.
- Keep metrics of interactions with storytellers.
- Work with partner organizations and policy teams to identify and vet stories.
- Participate in planning and executing substantive events, rallies, meetings with legislators, and other efforts with the storytellers in Washington, D.C., and across the country.
- Provide administrative and substantive support to the Story Bank team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- One to two years of work experience in campaigns, field, advocacy, or related fields is preferred.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Highly creative with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive and collaborative attitude toward work.
- Ability to work well with external partners and as part of a team.
- Ability to learn new policy issues quickly.
- Passion for advocacy and storytelling.
- Ability to work well within a team under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. This position is term-limited through December 31, 2021, and has a starting salary of $50,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.