American Progress is seeking a Vice President for Advocacy and Campaigns to lead the organization’s issue and electoral campaign activity. There is a unique opportunity to make significant gains in creating a more just and equitable country, anchored in an economy that works for all. American Progress will be one of the few progressive organizations with the capacity to engage in a broad range of policy and advocacy efforts over the next few years, and this is an exciting opportunity for a strategic leader and campaigner to engage with the breadth of the progressive movement.
American Progress works to address the country’s most pressing challenges, including ending the COVID-19 pandemic and strengthening the public health system, building an economy for all, securing a sustainable climate, advancing racial equity and justice, and restoring social trust and strengthening democracy.
The Vice President for Advocacy and Campaigns would work across teams within American Progress to develop multifaceted campaign plans that leverage the organization’s unique assets, including story banking, digital content and distribution, research, and traditional communications capacity. The Vice President will also ensure that American Progress is partnering closely with a range of progressive groups—at both the state and national level—to ensure that its advocacy efforts are aligned and well-integrated with American Progress’ allies.
The Vice President for Advocacy and Campaigns will lead CAP Action’s electoral outreach, including engaging closely with candidates and party committees to help deepen their commitment to progressive policies.
Strong candidates for this role will have a sharp understanding of the political landscape, a keen ability to identify strategic opportunities, and a proven recording of execution.
- Provide day-to-day management of the Campaigns team to develop clear plans and support the team in executing them effectively.
- Support the development and execution of advocacy campaigns promoting progressive narratives, policies, and accountability campaigns.
- Coordinate closely with the President of CAP Action and the Executive Vice President for External Affairs in representing American Progress within progressive advocacy coalitions to both help inform the organization’s own work and to build stronger progressive alliances.
- Maintain strong relationships across the institution, including with the CAP Action War Room, Government Affairs, the Executive, and Policy teams.
- Engage political candidates and elected officials in strategic messaging and advocacy activities.
- Promote team priorities and work products both inside and outside the organization.
- Play a leading role in fundraising to grow American Progress’ advocacy capacity, including expanding story bank capacity.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least 12 years of professional experience in campaigns, ideally with significant experience on issue campaigns.
- Creative, strategic, and a self-starter with an inability to identify opportunities and capitalize on them.
- Keen political instincts with an understanding of when leverage exists—and when it doesn’t—and how to build it.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven leadership and managerial skills directing and supporting a diverse team to succeed.
- Strong relationships across the progressive movement with a deep commitment to progressive values and policies.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders, often in rapid-response or high-pressure situations.
- A team player with an ability to do what is needed to achieve organization/team goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $140,000, with flexibility.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.