With Americans facing an increasing onslaught of news and media content, it has never been more important to amplify progressive policies and build up the necessary communications infrastructure to break through the noise and reach key audiences—and American Progress is committed to leading the way.
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Content Associate to join the War Room’s content creation and distribution efforts to build the case for progressive policies and values.
A strong candidate for this role will support the team’s work to create content and promote messaging for both American Progress platforms and partners across the progressive media landscape in order to improve online performance and help to close the engagement gap on progressive content. The Content Associate’s responsibilities include identifying opportunities to create compelling content, crafting creative guidance, and helping to foster collaboration between the digital, research, policy, communications, and story bank teams to develop optimized content that fits our strategic priorities.
This is a full-time position funded through March 2022.
- In partnership with the Director of Content Strategy, help develop a strategic plan to systematize the development of key messaging and creative briefs and identify opportunities to create compelling content in coordination with teams across American Progress.
- Draft memos and creative briefs for both American Progress internal stakeholders and partners.
- Work collaboratively with the research, policy, communications, story bank, and digital teams to generate ideas and produce content informed by progressive messaging, policy, polling, performance, and more.
- Collaborate with partners and other external organizations to share messaging and best practices.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices for digital content.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Two to three years of professional experience in communications, social media, creative strategy, and/or digital content creation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A passion for digital communication strategy.
- Ability to synthesize complex information (such as polls, policy, etc.) in a digestible way.
- Proactive and a self-starter.
- Political experience on a campaign or with an advocacy group or nonprofit is a plus.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders, often in rapid-response or high-pressure situations.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $55,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.