American Progress has an opening for a virtual summer intern on the Digital Strategy team.
The Digital Strategy team collaborates with teams and individuals across the organization to increase American Progress’ reach, engagement, and impact in order to improve the lives of all Americans. Working with experts in policy, communications, government affairs, and development, the team helps to amplify efforts through digital communications and technology—raising awareness of American Progress with strategic audiences and building relationships with progressive allies.
Digital Strategy interns will have the opportunity to work with all aspects of digital strategy and communications—including audience development, content strategy, technology development, and the many disciplines that fall in between—to learn many of the basic skills it takes to work at a progressive nonprofit. Ideal candidates will have a strong interest in the intersection of policy and digital communications.
The internship’s work will be focused through direct collaboration with and support of policy team initiatives—this is where American Progress moves from challenges to impact. These efforts include digital campaign concepting and execution; measurement and optimization; and knowledge management and sharing to ensure the organization’s work continues improving over time.
The Digital Strategy team maintains a broad portfolio of diverse expertise, and, as such, ideal candidates will come in many forms. The team expects no candidate to be proficient in all aspects, and tasks and responsibilities will be molded to individual strengths and interest areas as paired with organizational needs.
- Support Digital Strategy initiatives across audience development, content strategy, technology, and analytics—including but not limited to developing social copy and campaigns; email marketing and landing pages; user experience design and definition; technology quality assurance; reporting; and more. There will be on-the-job training; no entrant is expected to be proficient in all these areas on day one.
- Develop digital campaign plans for American Progress policy and brand initiatives in collaboration with policy and other support teams, including Government Affairs, Press, and Events.
- Maintain clear, centrally stored project documentation of efforts to engender collaboration, learning, and ongoing optimization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Current pursuance of an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree, or recent graduate.
- Interest in public policy, advocacy, and communications.
- Familiarity with a variety of digital communications channels beyond personal use, such as email, content publishing, social media.
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Thorough knowledge of common business and office software such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook and/or their Google Suite analogs.
- Ability to diagnose problems and identify creative solutions.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and values.
American Progress interns are paid at the D.C. minimum wage rate of $15 per hour. American Progress interns receive paid time off for federal holidays.
In order to be considered for an internship with American Progress, please combine the following items into a single .doc or .pdf file; follow the appropriate application link below; upload the single file; and complete the online application. The system does not allow for multiple files. Required materials include:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample of approximately three pages
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of the organization will be considered applicants and receive responses from American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This internship posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education, and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress internships are awarded on an equal opportunity basis; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.