American Progress has an opening for a virtual summer intern with the Press team. The Press team pursues progressive change by connecting American Progress’ experts, ideas, events, and publications with the media and the public. The team works to develop and execute comprehensive and innovative communications strategies to get American Progress’ policy priorities the attention they deserve.
To promote American Progress’ work, the Press team distills complex ideas into digestible messages and uses traditional and new media strategies that include writing press releases, advisories, and statements; pitching experts to TV, radio, print, online, and constituency media outlets; and promoting ideas through digital channels including social media to make sure that American Progress’ messages reach leaders in Washington, advocates across the country, and everyday people.
The selected candidate will learn many of the basic skills needed to become a communications professional at a progressive nonprofit. They will be involved in all core activities of the Press team and assigned day-to-day activities to help integrate them into the work. The intern will help monitor news stories, compile news clips, develop targeted press lists, assist with preparing experts for interviews, and identify new opportunities to promote American Progress’s policy work.
- Monitor news stories and assist with compiling daily news clips.
- Develop targeted press lists.
- Assist with preparing experts for interviews, including by developing briefing materials and participating in mock Q&A sessions as appropriate.
- Assist with drafting, editing, and/or translating communications assets, including talking points, social media and website content, advisories, press releases, statements, op-eds, or other written materials.
- Develop a communications rollout plan for American Progress policy initiatives in collaboration with policy and other support teams, including Government Affairs, Digital Strategy, and Events.
- Provide research and advocacy support as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Current pursuance of an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree, or recent graduate.
- Spanish language proficiency is preferred but not required.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills.
- Interest in public policy, advocacy, and communications.
- Familiarity with different types of traditional and social media.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to diagnose problems and identify creative solutions.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress interns are paid at the D.C. minimum wage rate of $15 per hour. Interns receive will paid time off for federal holidays.
In order to be considered for an internship with American Progress, please combine the following items into a single .doc or .pdf file; follow the appropriate application link below; upload the single file; and complete the online application. The system does not allow for multiple files. Required materials include:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample of approximately three pages
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of the organization will be considered applicants and receive responses from American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This internship posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education, and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress internships are awarded on an equal opportunity basis; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.