American Progress is offering a virtual summer internship with the National Security and International Policy (NSIP) team. The selected candidate will assist the NSIP China subteam with substantive research on China’s domestic politics and foreign relations. In your cover letter, please indicate your level of Mandarin language proficiency and elaborate on your experience conducting research using Chinese-language sources.
- Support the research efforts of the China Policy Analyst and China Program Coordinator.
- Translate and provide preliminary analysis of Chinese language sources.
- Draft, edit, and contribute research to memos, columns, event summaries, and reports.
- Attend and report on virtual policy meetings, seminars, hearings, and lectures.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Advanced Mandarin Chinese proficiency.
- Experience conducting research in Mandarin, including reading government documents, news articles, press releases, etc.
- Interest in China’s domestic politics and foreign relations. Interest in China’s technology policy, climate policy, and/or security policy is preferred.
- Attention to detail and ability to be thorough.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to juggle several different research streams at once.
American Progress interns are paid at the D.C. minimum wage rate of $15 per hour. Interns will receive paid time off for federal holidays.
In order to be considered for an internship with American Progress, please combine the following items into a single .doc or .pdf file; follow the appropriate application link below; upload the single file; and complete the online application. The system does not allow for multiple files. Required materials include:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample of approximately three pages
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of the organization will be considered applicants and receive responses from American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This internship posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education, and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress internships are awarded on an equal opportunity basis; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.