The Center for American Progress Action Fund has an immediate opening for a Senior Graphic Designer to join a growing creative team with the CAP Action War Room. The War Room’s mission is to develop innovative and compelling visual content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
The Senior Graphic Designer will work as part of a team that creates infographics, advertisements, websites, email newsletters, and videos. Their responsibilities will include developing new brand identities and logos, designing and curating content for social media channels, and designing newsletters and microsites as needed.
The ideal candidate should be able to read and translate complicated data and information into easy-to-interpret visual representations with little or no direction. The Senior Graphic Designer will also provide mentorship and guidance to junior members of the creative team and their peers and be responsible for helping track products from start to finish.
This is a full-time position funded through March 2022.
- Project-manage, optimize, and execute design projects that advance CAP Action’s strategic goals.
- Work with CAP Action’s leadership team and policy teams to advance advocacy goals by using design to translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Brainstorm, pitch, and execute ideas for graphic content for CAP Action’s Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter channels.
- Work with the Director of Design to create and develop strong brand identities for social media channels.
- Optimize and version out CAP Action graphics for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to maximize KPIs, including shares, click-throughs, and email acquisition.
- Working with policy teams, create charts, graphs, and infographics from data.
- Develop graphics for web and video on an as-needed basis.
- Work with CAP’s Technology team to design microsites from start to finish.
- Work with the Director of Design and policy teams to create scripts for products that advance CAP Action’s messaging in digestible, shareable formats.
- Manage projects and track duties as assigned.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest trends and best practices in design.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design or a related field. Five to seven years of professional design experience.
- High-level proficiency with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop in a Mac OS X environment, as well as with Microsoft Office suite.
- A strong portfolio of design work and/or portfolio website.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS preferred.
- Highly creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Collaborative and open to developing new skills as needed.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $75,000.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.