American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of Public Health Policy. This position will lead the Health team’s new public health project. The Director will work with other experts on American Progress’ Health team to develop and advance bold solutions to tackle health disparities through a social determinants of health framework.
The COVID-19 pandemic has put a spotlight on the extent to which environmental, nonmedical factors—including water quality, air quality, and pollution—affect a person’s health, as well as how systemic racism has left communities of color extraordinarily vulnerable to these hazards. Given these and other intersecting, systemic challenges, the Director of Public Health Policy will also work closely with American Progress’ energy and environment; disability justice; poverty; race, ethnicity, and equity; and economic policy experts to think strategically about the connections between public health needs and other policy areas. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of how systemic racism and environmental health burdens are structural public health issues.
- Lead in developing and executing American Progress’ priorities on public health.
- Develop and execute a robust research agenda to examine health disparities and support policies to improve public health.
- Write original reports, issue briefs, and outside publications, including in peer-reviewed journals.
- Work with key partners to develop and implement legislative and political strategies at the state and federal levels.
- Represent American Progress in coalitions of other organizations focused on improving the nation’s public health.
- Liaise with members of Congress and Capitol Hill staff to understand and support positive policy ideas or oppose harmful policy changes.
- Represent American Progress as a spokesperson in all forms of media as necessary to promote the team’s public health policy agenda.
- Fundraise to expand the project’s reach and support new and developing initiatives.
- Plan and implement public and private events, meetings, summits, conferences, and other special events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Advanced degree in public health or a related field is strongly preferred.
- At least eight years of relevant experience in research or policy development.
- Experience working with coalitions and a breadth of existing relationships in the public health space.
- Excellent writing, public speaking, and communications skills.
- Experience in seeking funding or grant writing is a plus.
- Capitol Hill or executive branch experience is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.