American Progress is seeking a Chief Financial Officer to serve as the senior finance officer of two tax-exempt, mission-driven organizations: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, known together as American Progress. The CFO must be an experienced finance and accounting professional who has exceptional technical skills, is committed to the mission of American Progress, and knows how to lead a team. The CFO will serve as a member of the Executive team and a resource and ally across the organization, helping guide and implement the strategic vision and planning of American Progress. The CFO will lead the organizations’ finances and help measure progress against organizational goals, maximizing the use of available resources across departments and developing innovative tools to help foster cross-department work and streamline reporting. The CFO will also help lead in cultivating the values of American Progress throughout the organizations. The CFO will work closely with the Legal, Human Resources, and Development teams. The ideal candidate will be a proactive partner with a genuinely held belief that no task is too big or too small.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of a diverse finance team, including fostering an environment of collaboration, personal investment, accountability, and knowledge sharing.
- Evaluate, improve, and execute accounting practices for a complex, multientity operation to help encourage cross-department work.
- Optimize systems to process payroll, expense reporting, accounts payable, and accounts receivable while ensuring that all dollars are accounted for and coded in a systemic manner in the general ledger.
- Deliver appropriate and regular reporting to senior leadership, the boards of directors, and key funders.
- Optimize and refine a control environment that enables necessary work to happen while protecting sensitive information and minimizing risk of spending misuse or fraud.
- Optimize and maintain a financial operating environment that manages and mitigates risk across American Progress through proactive and regular assessment and continuous improvement.
- Produce accurate and timely budgets, forecasts, and cash flow projections, as well as resolve relevant funding questions to ensure that American Progress’ budget reflects its priorities and that spending stays within resource constraints.
- Oversee development of project and grant budgets and status reports to grant managers and donors. Develop easy-to-use systems that foster seamless cross-team collaboration on projects.
- Oversee financial audits, tax, and other filings, ensuring appropriate accounting treatment.
- Monitor investment portfolio performance and ensure adherence to short-term investment policy, working with and reporting to the governing boards regarding investment strategy.
- Establish and maintain credibility among senior management and the boards of directors, including by building strong relationships across all teams to communicate, translate, and distill financial and budget information.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or a related field is required. A CPA and related graduate degree are strongly preferred.
- Approximately 10 years of experience in a senior financial role. Significant nonprofit grant management experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience working with an organization with both a 501(c)(3) and a 501(c)(4) is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in financial statement preparation and responsibility over financial reporting for an organization with an annual budget larger than $40 million.
- Experience with a range of high-end accounting software is desired; proficiency with Microsoft Excel is required.
- Demonstrated expertise with generally accepted accounting principles, including new revenue recognition requirements.
- Familiarity with negotiating and understanding office and equipment leases and purchases.
- Strong problem-solving skills as well as the ability to manage several tasks and projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively.
- An exceptional team player with strong interpersonal skills and calmness under pressure.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.