American Progress is an independent nonpartisan policy institute that is dedicated to improving the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action. Our aim is not just to change the conversation, but to change the country. American Progress currently has an opening for a Chief of Staff who will collaborate closely with the President and CEO to ensure that they effectively fulfill both internal and external commitments to partners, funders, and the board of directors. Serving as a member of the executive team, a successful candidate will be someone who is completely committed to progressive ideas, can adapt easily to rapidly changing priorities, and is able to manage multiple urgent projects quickly and efficiently.
- Serve as a strategic adviser to the President and CEO on issues such as institutional priorities, leadership decisions, external affairs, public and media appearances, and more.
- Oversee the President and CEO’s briefing process, including preparation for events and media appearances, review of policy work and institutional decisions, e-mail correspondence, and more.
- Represent the CEO externally as needed.
- Serve as a member of the executive leadership team, making strategic organizational decisions alongside the President and CEO, General Counsel, and other executive team members.
- Collaborate with General Counsel to manage relationships with two boards of directors, the board of trustees, and the economic advisory council.
- Oversee logistics of meetings, set the agenda, and manage content.
- Manage institutional projects and events as needed and represent the interests of the President and CEO.
- Manage the workflow, time, and attendance of two Executive Assistants and a Speechwriter.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- 10 or more years of relevant experience with a proven track record supporting organizations and principals.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience thriving in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment while demonstrating flexibility and responsiveness when faced with dynamic priorities and needs.
- Committed to upholding progressive values.
- Outstanding presentation, written, and oral communications skills to effectively represent the President and organization.
- Ability to regularly work outside standard hours to attend events and handle urgent matters on nights and weekends.
- Exemplary leadership, time management, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of American Progress is preferred.
- Comfortable leveraging remote technologies to work with colleagues across the country.
- An entrepreneurial spirit—a self-starter, motivated, creative, and a problem-solver.
- Familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint); Google Workspace; and familiarity with systems such as Salesforce (CRM), Asana (project management), Slack (communication), and Unanet (finance).
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.