The Center for American Progress Action Fund has an immediate opening for a Social Media Associate or Social Media Manager to join a growing digital team with the mission of building the case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
Strong applicants for this position will be highly organized and detail oriented with strong writing and communications skills. The ideal candidate can do more than copy and paste talking points into tweets and Facebook posts. This person should be excited by the challenge of producing engaging and compelling social content that helps advance CAP Action’s goals and meets target audiences where they are in terms of tone, substance, and platform.
The candidate must be comfortable working both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment and be able to multitask, set priorities, and quickly produce engaging content. Political acumen, sensitivity to the complexities of policy issues, and the ability to engage with communications and policy experts are musts.
- Manage, draft, and produce compelling content for CAP Action’s social media channels that reinforces CAP Action’s brand and amplifies key messaging.
- Develop and implement social growth and engagement strategies for both planned campaigns and rapid-response moments.
- Monitor social discovery tools and stay attuned to current events in order to identify strategic engagement opportunities.
- Connect trending content with meaningful opportunities to take action.
- Work directly with the Art and Video teams to produce effective social media graphics and video content.
- Actively participate in and contribute ideas to team brainstorms and planning meetings.
- Help monitor and manage relationships with progressive social influencers to amplify CAP Action content.
- Identify opportunities for engagement with other progressive brands and individuals.
- Reply to and engage with community members.
- Work with the Audience Development Director to develop a strategy for an online community.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least two to four years of professional experience in social media or digital communications, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization.
- Excellent writer with strong proofreading skills and sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Track record of running successful social media campaigns.
- Strong understanding of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Experience working in fast-paced advocacy or electoral environments.
- Experience deploying timely content during rapid-response scenarios.
- Familiarity with social media listening and analytics tools.
- Experience using social media to drive meaningful online and offline actions.
- Detail oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders.
- Experience producing and launching persuasion or acquisition Facebook ads is a plus.
- Open to developing new skills and experimenting with new strategies and tactics.
- Positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The Social Media Associate is level III and the Social Media Manager is level IV. This salary starts at $50,000 for Social Media Associate and $56,000 for Social Media Manager.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.