American Progress seeks a Foundation Relations Coordinator who is a self-starter able to effectively manage multiple priority projects in a fast-paced environment. The Foundation Relations Coordinator will work at the direction of the Managing Director of Foundation Relations and in close collaboration with the Associate Directors on the Development team to drive a robust foundation fundraising program designed to increase the amount of support from American Progress’ constituency over the next several years. This individual will research prospects, stay abreast of the philanthropic landscape, help develop foundation briefings, compile and copyedit proposal and report materials, help track donor outreach and submission of proposals and reports, and update American Progress’ Salesforce database on an ongoing basis, among other activities. This position is ideal for a deadline-driven, detail-oriented, and well-organized development professional who is committed to a progressive policy agenda.
The Foundation Relations unit works with program staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3), and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4).
- Manage prospect research for the Foundation Relations unit by monitoring the philanthropic landscape, identifying and profiling prospective donors and new funding streams, tracking prospect outreach, and measuring outcomes in Salesforce.
- Help prepare briefings for policy staff and leadership in advance of meetings and telephone calls with prospects and donors.
- Maintain library of CAP and CAP Action institutional language for use in funding proposals and reports and liaise with internal contacts—including staff from the Legal, Finance, and Human Resources departments—to update these materials.
- Regularly draft institutional language for proposals and reports as well as donor correspondence.
- Compile attachments to letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports as required by foundation guidelines, and when appropriate, work with the Legal and Finance departments to obtain necessary signatures for submission. Enter application and reporting materials into foundation portals as needed.
- Support the Development Operations Coordinator by reviewing for accuracy all internal grant announcements and related administrative correspondence as well as external donor acknowledgement and disclosure materials. Serve as a backup for this key process.
- Issue reporting prompts containing the necessary information for relevant staff to develop grant reports. Provide initial review of grant reports for consistency with CAP style guides, grant expectations, and donor intent.
- Use Power BI to track grant spending for Foundation Relations and Finance staff and identify potential issues that could affect reporting or projected renewals.
- In coordination with the Managing Director of Foundation Relations, use Salesforce to track unit performance metrics on a quarterly basis and report out to the Development team.
- In coordination with the Foundation Relations and Development Operations units, maintain accurate and complete Salesforce database records using report dashboards. Manage a monthly data integrity audit for the unit and assist with resolving audits as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least one year of experience in a development department or relevant work experience supporting the cultivation and stewardship of donor relationships.
- Experience conducting research using secondary source material.
- Computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and donor databases is preferable. Salesforce, Smartsheet, and Power BI experience is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and the ability to translate that commitment into compelling donor communications.
- Commitment to the departmental values of being progressive, donor-centric, and entrepreneurial; demonstrating integrity; making decisions driven by data; and fostering a culture of mutual respect.
- Knowledge of current affairs and familiarity with progressive issues, causes, and organizations.
- Excellent organizational, research, and written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to think strategically and anticipate and orchestrate next steps.
- Ability to work as a team player.
- Familiarity with the basic tenets of fundraising and nonprofit management.
- Comfort working with basic financial data.
- Ability to initiate, prioritize, and follow through on plans.
- Ability to balance big picture thinking with attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
This position is budgeted for $46,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.