American Progress has an immediate opening for a Senior Manager for Budget, Planning, and Forecasting. The Senior Manager will provide leadership in budget development, financial planning, reporting, analysis, grant management, and compliance. This position will work closely with team leads and development staff to prepare, monitor, and report to all stakeholders as well as oversee grant and departmental budgets, forecasts, and periodic fiscal reporting. The position requires strong technological, organizational, analytic, and writing abilities as well as an ability to effectively lead and communicate with others throughout American Progress to maintain fiscal control at all times.
- Prepare and coordinate the timelines and deliverables for the midyear and annual budgeting process for review by senior finance staff and executive leadership for presentation to the board of directors for approval.
- In collaboration with senior finance leadership and with budget owners, design and build responsive new budget and forecasting policies, procedures, and reporting in order to ensure timely and accurate financial visibility for leadership.
- Act as a business adviser and technical resource to direct reports and to team leads in formulating their budget submissions, including resource management for each department.
- Review proposed budget submissions from department managers for accuracy and completeness while serving as a business adviser when necessary.
- Proactively identify and propose leadership enhancements to the budget model to senior finance staff in order to optimize planning and forecasting accuracy.
- Prepare a monthly analysis of the budget compared with actual results for senior finance leadership’s review and report on significant variances for all American Progress operational teams.
- Collaborate with the budget team to develop final consolidated budgets.
- Prepare periodic and ad hoc reports to support department and finance management.
- Function as American Progress’ resident expert in the full utilization of investment in key finance infrastructure, including identifying any enhancements to existing policies, procedures, systems, and training that will contribute to a complete and well-controlled budget.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or relevant field.
- Four years of budget leadership experience.
- Exceptional electronic spreadsheet construction skills.
- Proven ability to perform quantitative analysis.
- Ability to work well within a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfort working under pressure and meeting multiple, tight deadlines.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and databases. Knowledge of data visualization software is a plus.
- Attention to detail.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with ERP accounting system is a plus.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.