American Progress is seeking a candidate for the position of Vice President of Government Affairs. This position has principal responsibility for managing American Progress’ relationships with policymakers at all levels of government. The External Affairs department, specifically the Government Affairs team, works to promote progressive policies and ideas to the executive branch; members of Congress; state, local, and regional organizations and elected officials; and advocacy organizations and think tanks.
- Work with American Progress’ executive and senior leadership team to develop and implement comprehensive outreach strategies to administration officials, members of Congress, governors, other state and local officials, and staffers to advance American Progress’ policy priorities.
- Ensure that policymakers consider American Progress as a resource in the development of policies and messaging on issues in which American Progress has expertise.
- Oversee and manage the Government Affairs team—currently comprising seven staff members—to initiate and coordinate outreach to policymakers and meet the other goals described in this job announcement. The Government Affairs team contains a sector focused on state and local advocacy, which will take on additional importance in the months ahead.
- Track and report to the executive and senior management teams on legislative, policy, and political developments in the administration, Congress, and state and local governments that affect the work of American Progress.
- Assist American Progress’ policy teams in crafting and timing policy reports and rapid-response documents in a manner that makes them more likely to be relevant to policymakers.
- Actively identify and pursue opportunities to promote American Progress’ President, executive team members, and policy staff as expert witnesses for congressional hearings, briefings, and meetings.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to the administration, Congress, and state and local policymakers, and respond to requests for information from staff.
- Drive the process for reporting on the policy impact of outreach activities.
- Coordinate outreach activities with the CAP Action Fund’s War Room.
- Coordinate and help manage cross-team, high-profile projects within American Progress, with an eye toward the intersection of policy, messaging, and political aspects.
- Frequently represent American Progress at progressive coalition meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of 12 years of experience working in a presidential administration, congressional office, or the office of a state elected official, or comparable experience.
- Familiarity with federal, state, and local governments.
- Understanding of federal, state, and local policy issues.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to think broadly across issue areas and synthesize action plans that also harness communications and political components.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.