American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Assistant or Research Associate on the Energy and Environment team to conduct research and analysis of energy and climate change policy. The ideal candidate will have strong writing skills, an attention to detail, a commitment to addressing climate change, and a willingness to work on a wide range of domestic and international policy issues. The title will be determined by the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
- Conduct and support research and analysis on energy and climate policy issues in coordination with American Progress’ Energy and Environment team, including conducting literature reviews, proofreading, fact-checking, and editing documents.
- Help develop a range of written products to influence the policy debate on key energy and climate issues, including memos, reports, rapid-response statements, op-eds, and social media.
- Perform light administrative duties, such as helping track publications and timelines and coordinating meetings.
- Develop expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience is preferred for the Research Assistant position. A master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience is preferred for the Research Associate level.
- At least one year of professional experience in energy and/or climate policy or a related field.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a team setting.
- Excellent research and analytical skills, including strong quantitative skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complicated policy matters to a nontechnical audience.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. The starting annual salary is $46,000 for a Research Assistant or $50,000 for a Research Associate.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.