American Progress is seeking candidates for the position of Executive Assistant and Scheduler to the President. This role serves as the primary assistant to American Progress’ President and calls for an exceptional, highly organized individual with unwavering attention to detail. Duties will include managing the President’s schedule, staffing the President, and ensuring that institutional priorities are moving forward. The position involves providing both administrative and research support to senior executives who rely heavily upon the Executive Assistant and Scheduler to triage all incoming requests; assess and determine the order of priorities; manage important relationships; provide timely, concise, and reliable information; and ensure that the President is thoroughly prepared for a variety of speaking engagements, events, and meetings. This position is best suited for an individual with superior strategic thinking skills who can help manage the President’s time effectively given constant competing demands.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone eager to have a front-row seat to the issues of the day at an exciting and dynamic organization engaging in policy debates, generating new ideas, shaping media coverage, and so much more. The Executive Assistant and Scheduler will work with American Progress teams on behalf of the President and is a critical part of the organization’s operation. This position is not entry level; it requires three to five years of experience, including at least one to two years of scheduling or executive assistant experience.
- Manage the President’s schedule, calendar, contact list, phone, and email.
- Make travel arrangements and set meetings and agendas.
- Organize the President’s day-to-day activities to assess and prioritize daily tasks and long-term responsibilities.
- Work with the President to manage and prioritize daily workflow, meetings, pending decisions, messages, and incoming materials for review.
- Coordinate with appropriate American Progress staff to prepare and review materials for the daily briefing process.
- Interact with all American Progress teams to manage workflow and deadlines.
- Communicate effectively on the President’s behalf to external partners and donors.
- Handle confidential and nonroutine information and matters.
- Draft letters, emails, and memos, and ensure that briefing materials are ready in a timely manner.
- Draft, edit, and proofread myriad documents.
- Take on special projects and additional duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least three to five years of prior work experience; one to two years of previous experience in a scheduling or executive assistant role, preferably for a principal, is required.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to be a self-starter who takes initiative and can work autonomously but knows when to ask for guidance.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Willingness and ability to take on a leadership role among peers.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and organize.
- Good designer and implementer of consistent systems for keeping track of overwhelming information flow.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.