American Progress has an opening for a Special Assistant to the Early Childhood Policy team. The Special Assistant will support the team in the production of timely policy research and analysis on a range of early childhood policy issues affecting young children, including child care, preschool, Head Start, home visiting, and maternal and infant health. The Special Assistant will also provide administrative support for managing internal systems, scheduling, meetings, and events. This position is budgeted for $40K.
- Provide administrative support to the team, including scheduling appointments and interviews, planning events and meetings, booking travel, and supporting development and fundraising efforts.
- Provide background research and otherwise support staff in drafting reports, articles, op-eds, and presentations on early childhood policy issues.
- Research and maintain records of press coverage, Hill outreach, state technical assistance, and other impact metrics.
- Process and submit invoices and administrative forms.
- Coordinate with the Editorial department and other team staff on upcoming early childhood publications to ensure timely release and comprehensive tracking of product metrics.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
- Highly organized with the ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the team’s overall administrative organization.
- Familiarity with early childhood policy issues.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite programs, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of social media platforms is a plus.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.