American Progress is seeking a candidate for the position of Manager of State and Local Government Affairs. This position will focus its work on helping grow and maintain American Progress’ relationships with state and local elected officials, their staffs, and key partners. The Government Affairs team as a whole works to promote progressive policies and ideas among members of Congress; state, local, and regional organizations and elected officials; and advocacy organizations and think tanks.
- Work under the direction of the Director of State and Local Government Affairs to help initiate, manage, and coordinate outreach to state and local agencies and elected officials.
- Promote American Progress’ legislative policy priorities and work product by helping to develop dissemination strategies to state and local officials, governors, and staff.
- Represent American Progress with state and local elected officials, governors, and staff, including establishing and maintaining relationships at all levels of government.
- Help advance American Progress’ policy priorities at the state and local legislative and executive levels by working with state and local governments, elected officials, and their staffs to drive and implement American Progress’ policy ideas into regulations and legislation.
- Help ensure that elected officials and state and local government staff consider American Progress as a resource when they consider the development of legislative language on issues in which American Progress has expertise.
- Help identify and pursue opportunities to promote American Progress’ President and CEO and policy staff as expert witnesses for state and local hearings and meetings.
- Work with various outreach arms of American Progress to help promote and develop legislative and communications outreach strategies.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to state and local affairs and respond to requests for information from staff.
- Produce policy outreach materials, internal tracking sheets, and other necessary materials to carrying out job functions; help develop contact lists and internal databases to carefully track state and local work; assist with event logistics.
- Coordinate outreach activities with the CAP Action Fund War Room to maximize impact.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including assisting other members of the Government Affairs team.
Requirements and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree; master’s degree is a plus.
- A minimum of five years of experience working with the executive branch, a congressional office, and/or the office of a state or local elected official, or comparable experience. Experience with state and/or local elected officials is preferred.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with state and local branches of government and relevant organizations.
- Understanding of state and local policy issues.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience working with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
- Experience working with political campaigns is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.