American Progress has an immediate opening for a Senior Media Coordinator on the Communications team. The Senior Media Coordinator handles the editing and placement of all American Progress-authored op-eds and items for external placement. This position will also work closely with policy teams, the Digital Strategy team, and the Government Affairs team, as well as with colleagues on the Press team, to develop and implement communications plans for American Progress initiatives. Finally, the Senior Media Coordinator will assist in research and promotion for American Progress’ flagship podcast.
- Edit and secure placement for all externally placed content authored by American Progress experts, including op-eds, essays, and letters to the editor.
- Develop and implement communications plans for the organization’s policy work.
- Assist in research and promotion for American Progress’ flagship podcast.
- Coordinate with other functional teams, including Digital Strategy and Government Affairs, to develop outreach plans for American Progress work.
- Brainstorm ways to insert American Progress policies and voices into news of the day and an ever-changing news cycle, including pitching reporters on covering American Progress initiatives.
- Develop and implement editorial board outreach strategies.
- On occasion, assist in drafting op-eds.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Two to three years of experience in media and/or communications.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and an eye for great content.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask, initiate new projects, meet tight deadlines, and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative and entrepreneurial with strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Nonprofit or political experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with WordPress, Cision, and the AP Stylebook is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.