American Progress has an immediate opening for a Design Associate to join its growing digital team. This person will support our in-house creative team with graphic design for social, email, and websites as well as rapid-response design requests. The Design Associate will join a team with a mission to develop innovative and compelling video and graphic content that helps build the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
American Progress is looking for applicants who have the ability to envision and create compelling graphic content, with an emphasis on designing for social media. Americans are more oversaturated with media than ever, and we’re looking for someone who can help create shareable, digestible content that breaks through the clutter and grab people’s attention—both in helping to tear down President Trump’s harmful policies and in building up the case for a progressive future.
A strong candidate for this role is passionate about progressive politics and has a strong background in design principles and technical knowledge.
- Work with the rest of the creative team and broader CAP Action War Room to pitch, develop, and produce graphics and design products that advance the organization’s strategic priorities.
- Use graphics, data visualizations, and animation to help translate complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages.
- Work closely with the broader digital and communications teams to ensure that content is tailored to target platforms and audiences.
- Coordinate with the story bank team to help develop compelling creative products from personal stories.
- Capture photos at events and on field shoots.
- Maintain a creative archive that catalogues and categorizes social graphics, email wrappers and templates, video stills, and performance metrics.
- Stay up to date on the latest trends and best practices in graphic design for social and email.
Requirements and qualifications:
- One to three years of professional experience working in graphic design.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and Excel.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies as well as how they intersect with the news.
- Strong proofreading skills.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Detail-oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders and meet tight deadlines.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.