American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Associate on the Energy and Environment Policy team to conduct research on energy and climate change policy. Successful candidates will be detail-oriented, have a close familiarity with key energy and climate change mitigation and resilience policy issues, and possess strong writing skills. Experience and interest in working on transportation issues are a plus.
- Conduct and support research and analysis on domestic energy and climate policy issues, including conducting literature reviews, proofreading, fact-checking, and editing documents.
- Draft policy reports, short policy columns, and articles to influence the policy debate on key energy and climate issues.
- Engage in rapid response to policy developments, including drafting articles, op-eds, blog posts, and social media posts.
- Coordinate and plan meetings and events as needed.
- Represent American Progress in external meetings with Capitol Hill staff, coalition partners, and media contacts to advance American Progress’ work.
- Develop expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Two or more years of professional experience in energy and/or climate policy or a related field is required. Experience with transportation policy issues is a plus.
- Must be able to work under tight deadlines in a team setting.
- Excellent research and analytical skills, including strong quantitative skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complicated policy matters to a nontechnical audience.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.