American Progress seeks a highly motivated Director of Special Research Projects to work with policy teams and the Vice President of Communications to conceive, design, and execute dedicated original research projects that critique the conservative agenda in new and compelling ways—through both traditional and social media.
Ideal candidates will have a strategic perspective on how to develop effective research that can break through in a noisy media environment. They will be determined to identify new research opportunities but will also be flexible and nimble in curating more digestible and influential public content.
Ideal candidates will possess a curiosity to explore loose threads and the discipline to remain focused on existing priorities. The Director of Special Research Projects will be collaborative and will be able to work with multiple teams. We are also looking for candidates who are able to demonstrate significant initiative to generate and execute ideas.
- Work with the CAP Action War Room to conduct, execute, and help disseminate hard-hitting research products that can help advance the organization’s goals and mission, including working closely with the Communications and Digital teams to develop compelling content.
- Identify potential research ideas on the key campaigns in which CAP Action is engaged, such as holding the Trump administration accountable for its broken promises.
- Curate existing public research, particularly regarding corruption within the Trump administration and among its allies.
- Help develop, produce, and maintain longer-term themed research products to reinforce key narratives.
- Support potential rapid-response opportunities with timely research products.
- Work closely with the policy teams and ThinkProgress to find ways to collaborate on research that advances our shared goals.
- Coordinate with allies to ensure that our work is aligned and not duplicative; distill and curate partner research to use in CAP Action work; and identify partnership opportunities with allies.
- Produce reports for CAP Action Fund grants and support other potential reporting needs of the team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Ten-plus years of experience working on campaigns and/or in government.
- Strategic sense of what questions to ask and what trails to follow in order to make an impact with research.
- Dogged ability to track things down, but an understanding of when to relent.
- Proven ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities while still meeting deadlines.
- Attention to detail—thorough and reliable.
- Familiarity with key public databases and other tools for conducting necessary analyses.
- Deep commitment to progressive values and politics.
- Proven success collaborating and communicating with various teams to achieve goals.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Excellent communication and troubleshooting skills.
- Focus on possibilities and not obstacles.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated aptitude for being self-sufficient and self-directed.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.