American Progress has an immediate opening for a Counsel on its in-house legal team. The Legal team manages legal and compliance matters for both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit research and educational think tank, as well as its affiliated organization, the Center for American Progress Action Fund—a 501(c)(4) organization.
The Legal team advises both organizations on a broad array of legal issues, including nonprofit tax, lobbying, ethics, corporate governance, intellectual property, data privacy, media, employment, and contract law. It designs and implements legal compliance procedures and works with management, staff, and consultants to respond to the daily legal needs and to help ensure ongoing compliance in a fast-paced and mission-driven environment.
- Draft, review, and interpret contracts—including grant agreements—between American Progress and third parties.
- Review papers, press releases, and other American Progress work product to ensure compliance with applicable laws.
- Help staff to plan and structure new projects in compliance with applicable law.
- Assist with development and implementation of internal compliance and tracking measures, including time sheets and legal guidance.
- Conduct trainings for staff on legal rules and compliance procedures.
- Assist with board meetings and other corporate governance issues.
- Assist in resolving routine and novel legal issues or questions.
Requirements and qualifications:
- License to practice law.
- J.D. and at least two years of experience.
- Preferred candidates will have experience in 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofit law, though this is not required. Knowledge of government lobbying and ethics, media, employment, and/or intellectual property law is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work on broad topics and balance multiple projects at once.
- Positive attitude and team-oriented ethic.
- Sense of humor.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.