The Assistant Editor serves primarily as a copyeditor for American Progress, helping assure the quality of publications ranging from research reports to daily columns. Working in a fast-paced, journalistic environment as part of the Art, Editorial, and Video team, the Assistant Editor also helps with daily production of the website.
- Copyedit American Progress’ products including reports, issue briefs, columns, and other content for both print and web.
- Copyedit, post content on, and update AmericanProgress.org and other American Progress websites.
- Maintain the style guide and its grammatical and style standards.
- Maintain accuracy and overall quality of publications.
- Write headlines, blurbs, and photo captions, and select photos.
- Work on the conception and execution of special websites and projects.
- Provide operational support to the Art, Editorial, and Video team, including scheduling meetings; processing and filing forms; managing pipelines; tracking invoices and payments; and providing other administrative support when necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- One to two years of editing experience with an online component is a plus.
- Excellent editing skills, including a particular attention to detail and accuracy. Strong ability to work under time pressure and to work independently.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, particularly the ability to give feedback and instructions clearly but diplomatically.
- Meticulous organizational skills and strong problem-solving capabilities, especially the ability to keep track of many small moving parts across several distinct projects.
- Familiarity with AP Style is a plus.
- Experience with HTML, XML, and CSS is a plus.
- Experience with WordPress and Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.