American Progress seeks a seasoned foundation fundraiser with demonstrated people and program management experience to lead the institutional fundraising program in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. The Managing Director will drive a robust foundation fundraising program designed to increase the amount of support from the organization’s constituency over the next several years. This position is ideal for a strategic thinker who is adaptable and committed to a progressive policy agenda.
The Foundation Relations team works with program staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization.
- Lead the foundation fundraising program to successfully meet annual goals while developing and executing strategies to increase the level of funding over time.
- Directly supervise and support the individual success of two foundation fundraisers and a Foundation Relations Coordinator.
- Regularly track and report on progress toward annual goals and key performance indicators.
- Oversee the development and delivery of training and other resources to program staff to build internal capacities for pursuing and renewing foundation funding.
- Oversee workflow tracking systems to ensure that all tasks related to outreach, grant writing, and management and delivery of reports are completed in a timely way with a high standard of performance.
- Speak on behalf of and represent the Foundation Relations team with program, administrative, and executive staff.
- Maintain a portfolio of policy teams and deliver fundraising support to program staff, including through research and delivery of new prospective funding opportunities; coaching, training, and strategic guidance on outreach, solicitation, and stewardship activities; prompting of staff-led fundraising activities; creation of briefing materials; support for proposal development; and review of materials.
- Maintain timely and accurate revenue projections and information on funding relationships.
- Collaborate with the Finance team to ensure the timely spending of grant funds and delivery of budgets and fiscal reports.
- Support strategic and operational planning within the Development team as appropriate.
- In partnership with the Vice President of Development and the Development leadership team, contribute to the overall advancement of the development program, share best practices, and stay abreast of philanthropic trends.
- Contribute to team-wide initiatives as needed.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science is required.
- Ten years of fundraising experience with three to five years of direct management of staff, preferably at a nonprofit advocacy or policy-oriented organization, is required.
- Demonstrated success in identifying, soliciting, and stewarding a significant foundation grant portfolio and managing relationships with both program officers and internal program staff to create the conditions for success.
- Experience coaching and developing the fundraising skills of both development and program staff.
- Experience reviewing budgets and financial reports.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to work additional hours as needed to meet deadlines.
- Support for the mission of American Progress and commitment to a broad progressive agenda.
- Proficiency with Salesforce is desirable.
- Familiarity with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) regulations is a plus.
This position has a salary range of $125,000–$145,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.