American Progress has an immediate opening for a Special Assistant on the Postsecondary Education team. This is an exciting entry-level opportunity for someone to launch their career in higher education policy. The Special Assistant will support the entire Postsecondary Education team. This position involves managing day-to-day operations of the team including scheduling and organizing meetings and other logistics, maintaining the team calendar, managing metrics to track progress on goals, and providing overall research and administrative support. The right candidate will be highly organized, detail-oriented, a responsible self-starter capable of delivering high-quality support, and eager to learn new skills and gain expertise in higher education policy.
- Provide administrative support to the Postsecondary Education team, including by scheduling appointments and meetings and booking travel.
- Assist the Postsecondary Education team in all aspects of its work, including by coordinating projects, internal and external staff meetings, and public events, as well as greeting guests.
- Research and maintain monthly records of press coverage and other important metrics for the Postsecondary Education team.
- Maintain the team’s calendar.
- Process and submit invoices and administrative forms.
- Draft and edit letters, invitations, databases, and policy memos.
- Provide research and writing support, including on individual products.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and written communication skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Highly organized with the ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the team’s overall administrative organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Superb research and writing ability.
The Postsecondary Education Team values high-quality cover letters, which will be used to evaluate a candidate’s writing ability.
This position is budgeted at $40,000.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.