American Progress is seeking candidates for the position of Special Assistant to the Immigration Policy Team. The Special Assistant will assist the Vice President and Managing Director for Immigration Policy, along with the policy staff, with scheduling, event coordination, and research, advocacy, campaign, and writing support as needed. This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible self-starter on whom the policy staff can rely to work independently and deliver high-quality administrative and research support.
The right candidate will demonstrate an ability to multitask, set priorities in a fast-paced environment, and manage important communication on behalf of the Immigration team. Applicants must have excellent research and organizational skills and pay careful attention to deadlines and follow-up communications. Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact well with high-level policy professionals both internally and externally are important. The right candidate will be able to quickly master the administrative tasks required for the position and consistently find ways to improve the processes and day-to-day operations of the Immigration team. Applicants must also be willing to develop and maintain familiarity with the team’s policy work.
Please note: All applicants must submit a cover letter that describes the role of immigrants and immigration in our society and the challenges faced by immigrant communities and families today. The summary should be no longer than three paragraphs. The cover letter should be no longer than two pages.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences, and coordinate staff and visitor travel
- Create, organize, and maintain accurate written and electronic files and databases
- Provide logistical support for all staff meetings, public events, and conferences
- Research and maintain records of press coverage and other important metrics for the Immigration team’s work
- Manage the @CAPimmigration Twitter account
- Process invoices and other administrative forms
- Occasionally draft and/or edit letters, invitations, and other documents
- Provide research, advocacy, and campaigns support as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
- Superb research and writing ability
- Prior work experience; summer jobs, internships, or part-time work may be sufficient.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the team’s overall administrative organization
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Spanish language skills are a plus.
- Knowledge of major issues facing immigration and refugee policy in the United States is preferred.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is budgeted at $40,000.
Please apply by March 25 for best consideration.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.