American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Assistant on the Economic Policy team to support a new project analyzing the Trump administration’s economic policies with a focus on illustrating their effects on states and local communities and on different demographic groups. The position requires strong quantitative and organizational skills, meticulousness, comfort with a fast-paced environment, and a passion for advancing progressive economic policy. This is a term-limited position, through the end of 2020, subject to future needs and funding availability.
- Perform research, primarily on a new project analyzing the state-by-state and local effects of the Trump administration’s economic policies, with a focus on areas including wages, health care costs, financial deregulation, student loans, trade and tariffs, taxes, and federal budget cuts.
- Coordinate and organize the project’s workflow and maintain talking points, fact sheets, graphics, and research materials to improve their accessibility for rapid response.
- Liaise with other policy organizations to identify potential synergy and distribute American Progress’ content.
- Draft memos, fact sheets, talking points, website copy, and other products.
- Collaborate with American Progress policy staff to identify new opportunities to advance a progressive economic agenda and capture the impacts of the Trump administration’s economic policies.
- Provide operational support, such as planning events and meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, political science, public policy, or a related field.
- One to three years of experience in a related field.
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- Good writing skills.
- Ability to work well within a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfort working under pressure and meeting tight deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.