American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of Digital Creative to lead a creative team that develops innovative and compelling video and graphic content that builds the emotional and visual case for progressive policies, values, and candidates.
The Center for American Progress Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan policy and advocacy organization dedicated to improving the lives of all Americans through bold progressive ideas, strong leadership, and concerted action. We develop new policy proposals, challenge media outlets to cover the issues that matter to American families, and use a variety of digital and communications tools to shape the national debate.
With policy teams in every major issue area, CAP Action thinks creatively at the cross-section of traditional boundaries to develop ideas for policymakers and candidates. It employs extensive digital communications and outreach efforts to help progressive leaders make the case for American Progress’ values and implement real change.
We are looking for applicants who have the ability to envision and create compelling content. The public is more overwhelmed than ever, and we need a director with a keen sense of what will break through the clutter and grab people’s attention, both in helping to tear down President Trump’s harmful policies and in building up the case for a progressive future.
The creative team will also work closely with the storybank team to identify compelling stories that lend themselves to strong creative products. The team will deploy the content it produces in a variety of channels and contexts, including legislative fights and electoral races.
A strong candidate for this role should be able to effectively manage and oversee a team that develops, designs, and produces video and graphic content for all digital platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Candidates should have the technical skills to jump in and produce these products as necessary.
- Manage the CAP Action War Room’s creative team of digital media associates who pitch, develop, and execute video and graphic projects to advance the organization’s strategic priorities.
- Work with the War Room leadership team and American Progress’ policy teams to advance advocacy goals in part by translating complex ideas into digestible, shareable messages using video and graphics.
- Work closely with the broader digital and communications teams to ensure that content is tailored to the platforms and audiences American Progress is trying to reach.
- Coordinate with the storybank team to help develop compelling creative products from personal stories.
- Brainstorm, craft, and disseminate innovative and creative visual content that helps move the needle on American Progress’ core fights.
- Manage the production of shareable rapid response videos using a combination of clips, original footage, and animation.
- Work with outside videographers and vendors to expand production capabilities and capacity.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest trends and best practices for digital creative.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least five years of professional experience working in digital creative with a focus on video and graphic design.
- Expertise in filming, editing, and producing video content with an emphasis on storytelling.
- Experience developing branding for political campaigns, advocacy organizations, companies, or nonprofits.
- The ability to conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- A solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Strong managerial skills.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Detail-oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Open to developing new skills as needed.
- Collaborative and fun to work with!
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.