The Director of Domestic Climate and Energy Policy will lead the Energy and Environment team’s work to develop innovative and ambitious federal policy ideas to reduce U.S. greenhouse gas emissions and transition the economy to clean energy. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of climate mitigation policy and the U.S. energy sector, as well as creative ideas for how to build the political consensus for urgent action to address the climate crisis.
- Lead in developing and executing American Progress’ strategic priorities on domestic climate and clean energy policy in 2019 and beyond.
- Work with key partners to develop and implement legislative and political strategies at the federal level.
- Represent American Progress in coalitions with other organizations focused on U.S. climate and clean energy policy.
- Liaise with members of Congress and Capitol Hill staff to understand and support positive policy ideas or stand up to oppose harmful policy changes.
- Conceive, research, write, and edit original reports and issue briefs on climate and energy policy.
- Represent American Progress as a spokesperson in all forms of media as necessary to promote its energy policy agenda.
- Fundraise to expand the program’s reach and support new and developing initiatives.
- Plan and implement public and private events, meetings, summits, conferences, and other special events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree is a plus.
- At least eight years of experience in policy development, campaign management, legislative advocacy, coalition building, or related fields.
- A proven knowledge base in climate mitigation and clean energy policy.
- Ability to use quantitative analysis to make the case for policy options.
- Experience working with coalitions and a breadth of existing relationships in the climate and energy policy space.
- Excellent writing, public speaking, and communications skills.
- Experience seeking funding or grant writing is a plus.
- Capitol Hill or executive branch experience is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.