American Progress has an immediate opening for the position of Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst with the Women’s Initiative. The team is looking for a policy analyst to support work on a range of health issues that affect women and families, such as protecting abortion rights and access to affordable contraception, defending the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid program, and developing progressive ideas on a range of women’s health policy issues. The ideal candidate will be passionate about reproductive justice and ensuring health care access for low-income women, women of color, young women, and other groups of women who are too often excluded from the mainstream narrative because of factors such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, age, or disability.
- Develop and advance American Progress’ policies, with a focus on women’s health, reproductive rights, and reproductive justice; this includes assisting in generating progressive policy ideas.
- Manage projects related to women’s health policy, conducting original quantitative and qualitative research as well as policy analysis and translating findings for a broader audience.
- Prepare articles, columns, issue briefs, fact sheets, opinion pieces, blog posts, and talking points.
- Analyze pending state and federal legislative proposals as well as administrative policies and regulatory changes, including research on relevant legal precedent and implications.
- Contribute to other American Progress initiatives as appropriate and identify cross-cutting issues and projects.
- Participate in coalition and advocacy efforts.
- Assist in the coordination and planning of meetings and events.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Excellent writing, editing, and communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative.
- Sense of humor and flexibility.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; J.D. is preferred.
- At least three to five years of experience working on health policy, with strong knowledge of reproductive rights and justice policy issues.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Prior political and nonprofit experience—with both 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations—are a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.