American Progress has an immediate opening for a Special Assistant to the Press team. The Special Assistant will support the Senior Vice President for Communications and Strategy, as well as the entire Press team, with scheduling, media strategy, and research support. This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible individual on whom the staff can rely to work independently and collaboratively to deliver high-quality support to the team.
- Provide administrative support to the Senior Vice President for Communications and Strategy, including scheduling, booking travel, preparing research memos for media appearances, and performing other tasks as needed.
- Maintain the Press team’s products and events calendar and run the daily team meeting.
- Format, record, and distribute American Progress’ daily media clips, and support the archiving and analysis of coverage.
- Lead the hiring and supervision of the department’s interns.
- Assist in coordinating press outreach strategies for the release of American Progress products and public events.
- Coordinate logistics and prepare documents for media appearances for American Progress staff.
- Create, edit, and manage media contact lists in the press database.
- Field media inquiries and monitor American Progress’ media accounts.
- Help manage logistics for press calls.
- Process and submit the department’s financial authorization forms, travel authorization forms, and check requests.
- Schedule and organize meeting space for interdepartmental and intradepartmental meetings.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Prior work experience; summer jobs, internships, or part-time work may be sufficient.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and both oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the Washington, D.C., and national political and media landscape is preferred.
- Superb research and writing ability.
- Ability to be a self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the team’s overall administrative organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of Cision, WordPress, and Salesforce is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.