American Progress has an immediate opening for an Executive Director of Generation Progress. The Executive Director will have strategic and operational responsibility for Generation Progress’ staff and programs. This position will also be responsible for raising and managing Generation Progress’ budget. Working under the direction of the Executive Vice President for External Affairs at American Progress, the Executive Director will conceive, design, and implement a creative and empowering vision for a youth-led and youth-driven progressive movement.
Generation Progress is the youth engagement arm of American Progress. Generation Progress’ work engages and trains young people to build powerful youth movements on the issues affecting the current generation. This work wins victories today, while also empowering leaders who will fight for all communities on the issues that matter for decades to come.
Generation Progress has been leading youth-driven change on progressive issues since its founding as Campus Progress in 2005. Rebranding in 2013 to Generation Progress to be more inclusive of the entire generation, this initiative has been at the forefront of youth leadership development for a progressive future for over a decade.
- Design and implement national issue campaigns to engage, organize, and mobilize young people to achieve progressive change on the issues they care about.
- Raise and manage the budget for Generation Progress’ staff and programs by maintaining current funders and working to engage and develop new donor relationships.
- Hire and manage Generation Progress staff and interns in a way that creates an empowering environment for young movement leaders.
- Manage and expand Generation Progress’ current training and advocacy programs to facilitate both long-term movement building and the development of youth power.
- Manage and grow Generation Progress’ broad digital and communications network to facilitate digital engagement and storytelling that empowers young people.
- Work with Generation Progress’ staff and networks to support public policy developed by and for young people.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other American Progress teams on a wide range of projects.
- Ensure Generation Progress’ compliance with American Progress procedures and all applicable laws and regulations.
Requirements and qualifications:
- The Executive Director must be thoroughly committed to the mission of Generation Progress.
- All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated ability to conceive of and implement a creative and empowering vision for movement work.
- The ideal candidate will be a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Excellent organizational management, with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop a high-performance team.
- Demonstrated experience with fundraising, donor relations, and budget management.
- Eight or more years of organizing, policy, advocacy, and/or communications experience; grassroots organizing experience with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations is a plus.
- Exceptional writing, research, and analytical skills.
- Ability to work with coalitions of diverse groups and find common ground.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment while working under pressure and tight deadlines.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.