American Progress has an immediate opening for a Communications and Advocacy Associate with the Women’s Initiative. The Communications and Advocacy Associate will help to advance a progressive agenda for women’s issues at the federal, state, and local levels, promoting action on women’s health and economic security across the team. This will include work on access to equal pay, abortion and contraception, maternal health, paid family leave, sexual harassment, and other issues affecting women and families. The ideal candidate will combine some project management experience with communications and advocacy skills to promote a progressive women’s agenda.
- Coordinate daily operations of coalition work with partner organizations at the national, state, and local levels, including fielding requests, developing agendas, executing follow-up actions, and maintaining frequent communication with partners.
- Participate in coalition and advocacy efforts, including assisting in the coordination and planning of public and private meetings and events.
- Build and refine coalition lists and grow American Progress’ network of women advocates and opinion leaders.
- Coordinate the production of toolkits, op-eds, videos, social media content, and other advocacy materials to advance progressive action on women’s issues at the national and state levels.
- Devise and draft rapid-response social media posts about legislative and executive actions, including on Twitter and Facebook.
- Help plan and execute the rollout of team products, such as reports, issue briefs, and fact sheets, to reach a wide range of audiences and maximize the impact of American Progress’ work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- One to two years of professional experience, preferably in communications or political campaigns.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; ability to write in a variety of formats, such as op-eds, talking points, and social media posts.
- Understanding of best practices for Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to multitask and set priorities under tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work on a team and across organizations.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
- A commitment to examining the diverse challenges facing all women—particularly women from different racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds, and across disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, and parental status.
The following qualifications are preferred but not required:
- Preference will be given to individuals with a demonstrated record of women’s advocacy and campaign work.
- Experience editing and/or writing for a broad digital audience.
- Fluency in Spanish.
- Experience with Salesforce or other customer relationship management systems.
- Basic graphic design experience.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.