American Progress has an immediate opening for a Communications and Advocacy Manager on the Postsecondary Education team. This position will be responsible for the Postsecondary Education team’s strategic advocacy and communications work. The Communications and Advocacy Manager will develop and execute strategic plans for postsecondary education advocacy efforts around both long-term goals and new product releases.
- Construct and execute an overall strategic and communications advocacy plan for the Postsecondary Education team.
- Establish and execute multiday release plans for all major team products.
- Translate and convert team products into other digestible formats, such as tweets, talking points, fact sheets, and op-eds.
- Manage the Postsecondary Education team’s social media presence.
- Identify new opportunities to spread team ideas and stay abreast of ongoing discussions about postsecondary education.
- Conduct outreach to further American Progress’ work, including working with progressive coalitions and policymakers in Congress and at the state level.
- Coordinate work with Generation Progress, the youth and young adult arm of American Progress.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Experience operating in high-stakes environments that require producing high-quality, accurate products under tight deadlines.
- Keen eye for new opportunities to advance messaging; knowledge of how to balance limited resources to ensure their greatest effect.
- High level of creativity with the ability to solve problems and identify creative approaches to challenges.
- Ability to draft written products in multiple formats that are concise and easy to follow without losing important policy nuance.
- Strong understanding of how to develop and maintain connections and relationships to make advocacy efforts more effective; this experience may include participating and leading one-on-one, small, and large group meetings.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines while maintaining a high level of work quality.
- At least three years of experience in strategic advocacy or communications.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.