American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Associate with the K-12 Education Policy team. The Research Associate will work under the direction of the Vice President of Education Policy and Managing Director of K-12 Education Policy on a variety of education policy issues, such as the educator pipeline, school improvement, and education innovation, including public charter schools. The analyst will work in a team environment to develop products that make the case for progressive education policy ideas that increase educational opportunity for historically disadvantaged students, as well as products that defend against threats posed to these students. Successful candidates will have excellent writing and analytical skills and work well in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities.
- Write, contribute to, and edit accessible op-eds, columns, briefs, and reports.
- Develop rapid-response materials, including talking points, social media content, and messaging on tight deadlines.
- Conduct policy research on a range of topics related to K-12 education policy and interpret qualitative and quantitative research.
- Assist in the coordination and planning of meetings, events, and issue-based coalition work.
- Interface formally and informally with media, external groups, and policymakers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years of relevant experience.
- Proven expertise in aspects of education or education policy.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong ability to conceptualize problems.
- Strong ability to manipulate and analyze data.
- Strong ability to formulate policy recommendations.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to initiate projects and balance multiple projects at once.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.