American Progress has an immediate opening for a Special Assistant to the Executive team. This position will involve organizing meetings and managing schedules for two members of the Executive team; researching, drafting, and editing materials; organizing events and meetings; and performing other tasks as needed. This position calls for a highly organized individual who pays close attention to detail; maintains the ability to prioritize competing demands; provides timely and concise information; and manages important relationships.
- Organize for the Chief Operating Officer and the Senior Vice President of Policy and Strategy to ensure they can accomplish daily tasks and long-term responsibilities.
- Exercise judgment on priority of tasks, meetings, incoming materials for review, pending decisions, and messages.
- Provide research support and occasional drafting of messages, letters, or Executive department reports.
- Prepare briefing books and other materials as needed.
- Communicate with the Senior Vice President of Policy and Strategy’s direct reports on their responsibilities and tasks.
- Communicate effectively to senior management, donors, and others on the behalf of the Chief Operating Officer and the Senior Vice President of Policy and Strategy.
- Handle confidential and nonroutine information and matters.
- Draft letters, emails, memos, speeches, and talking points.
- Manage schedules, calendars, and contact lists.
- Make travel arrangements.
- Organize meetings and group events.
- Draft, edit, and proofread documents.
- Take on special projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Prior work experience; summer jobs, internships, or part-time work may be sufficient.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong writing skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction when needed but does not wait for the next instruction to complete a project.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and organize.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Willingness and ability to take a leadership role among peers in the organization.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.