The Special Assistant assists the Vice President of Criminal Justice Reform and Senior Director of Race and Ethnicity Policy with scheduling, event coordination, and some research support as needed and time allows. This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible individual on whom the policy staff can rely to work independently and deliver high-quality administrative support.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences, as well as coordinate staff and visitor travel.
- Provide logistical support for all-staff meetings, public events, and conferences.
- Research and maintain records of press coverage and other important metrics for teams.
- Create, organize, and maintain accurate written and electronic files and databases.
- Process invoices and other administrative forms.
- Occasionally draft and/or edit letters, invitations, and other documents.
- Responsible for team social media accounts and newsletters.
- Provide research support as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills.
- Superb research and writing ability.
- Proficiency in new media platforms.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the teams’ overall administrative organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.