American Progress has an immediate opening for an Application Developer with strong and evolving competence in several programming languages, software frameworks, and cloud technologies. As a member of the Technology Development team, the Application Developer will contribute to the building and enhancement of software products that facilitate American Progress’ outreach to its audiences.
The successful candidate is a skillful self-starter who values continuous learning of new technologies in order to devise sustainable high-quality solutions in support of the organization’s goals and objectives. This position is an excellent opportunity for a technologist who is interested in applying IT innovation to further progressive policies and ideals.
- Software development:
- Contribute to the building and maintenance of software products that support American Progress’ digital outreach and messaging activities.
- Develop, deploy, and maintain web applications according to design and test functionality against business requirements.
- Work with staff across the organization to solicit requirements, manage expectations, and provide continued support.
- Participate in and contribute effectively to projects, initiatives, and meetings.
- Cloud DevOps:
- Support the efforts to enhance the availability, scalability, and performance of the cloud infrastructure.
- Provision audit tools and develop and document policies and processes.
- Harden the entire stack and improve code pipeline and deployment processes.
- Define and deploy new microservices and service layer APIs to replace server-based processes and scheduled tasks.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least five years of demonstrated experience with full-stack web development and data-sharing using databases and document stores:
- Prior experience with PHP development in a CMS environment—preferably WordPress.
- Deep understanding of the principles of responsive web design, UX considerations, and web component management.
- Hands-on experience with at least one relational database such as MySQL or Postgres.
- Familiarity with ReactJS or similar frameworks, NoSQL databases, Python programming paradigm, and data visualization tools is highly desired.
- At least two years of experience in cloud computing and IaaS/PaaS/IaC services:
- Strong command of the Linux operating system and shell scripting.
- Prior experience with any of the following AWS services is a big plus: computing (EC2, Lambda); storage (S3); database (RDS, DynamoDB, ElastiCache); networking (VPC, CloudFront, R53, API GW); integration (SNS, SQS); and management tools (CloudWatch, CloudTrail, CloudFormation, I AM, CLI).
- Hands-on experience working with team software productivity tools and techniques:
- Deep understanding of code versioning utilities such as Git and issue tracking and documentation tools such as Jira/Confluence.
- Experience with virtualization software, build toolchains, and package managers such as VirtualBox, Vagrant/VVV, gulp, grunt, npm, and Composer.
- Experience with automated testing tools such as Selenium is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of SDLC and agile development techniques is expected.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills with the ability to work independently, learn rapidly, and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
- Prior work experience in nonprofit organizations is a plus.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.