The National Security and International Policy (NSIP) program at American Progress is devoted to generating pragmatic and progressive policy ideas to advance U.S. national security. Our work focuses on several priority research areas, including the Middle East, Asia, Europe, and Latin America; defense, liberty, and security; and sustainable security strategy and development. The Managing Director for National Security and International Policy will assist the Vice President in leading a dynamic team to develop an affirmative national security and international policy agenda.
- Assist the Vice President with strategic planning.
- Assist with day-to-day management of the NSIP team, including senior fellows, directors, research staff, and assistants.
- Assist the Vice President and senior fellows in fundraising strategy and managing strong fundraising relationships.
- Assist the Vice President in editorial oversight of NSIP’s written products.
- Oversee NSIP’s budget and general administration.
- Serve as primary liaison to American Progress senior management as well as other CAP and CAPAF teams.
- Represent NSIP to press, policymakers, academics, and other outside stakeholders as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Master’s degree in international relations or a relevant field is preferred.
- At least 8 years of political, government, or nonprofit experience is required.
- Management and leadership experience are required.
- Significant national security expertise is required.
- Demonstrated excellence in research, editing, writing, and analytic ability.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.