American Progress seeks a Training and Onboarding Manager for the Human Resources team. The Training and Onboarding Manager will be responsible for creating an inclusive and comprehensive onboarding program for all levels of staff. This person will ensure new staff receive a warm welcome to American Progress, have the resources they need to perform their job from day one, and experience a comprehensive and smooth onboarding process.
American Progress is looking for candidates who demonstrate attention to detail and an ability to multitask. As a member of the Human Resources team, it is critical that candidates handle confidential matters with complete discretion. This position is located in downtown Washington, D.C.
- Organize first-day orientation programs for incoming staff.
- Ensure sufficient onboarding for new hires, including information about organizational culture and structure.
- Work with individual teams to develop team-specific orientation materials.
- Work with the Senior Director for Talent Management and Diversity Initiatives to analyze positions to develop clear career paths for staff at all levels and work with individual employees to determine training and development needs.
- Work with managers to create training and development plans for their teams and individual staff members as needed.
- Review performance evaluations to make recommendations for training and development opportunities.
- Work with various stakeholders to develop a formalized mentorship program.
- Provide opportunities for ongoing development of staff.
- Maintain an understanding of training trends and best practices.
- Work with the Senior Director for Talent Management and Diversity Initiatives to track the professional development budget for the organization as a whole.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Five to seven years of experience in training or human resources.
- Familiarity with traditional and modern training methods, including mentoring and coaching.
- Strong writing skills and ability to prioritize assignments.
- Ability to work well independently or within a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multitask and work well under tight deadlines.
- Knowledgeable with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Strong professionalism.
- A commitment to the organization’s progressive mission, values, and ideals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.