American Progress has an immediate opening for a Social Media Director. This person will lead social media efforts at American Progress and work closely with policy staff to develop and implement roll-out plans for American Progress initiatives, as well as focus on growing the platforms and influence of American Progress’ online audiences. The Social Media Director will also be responsible for managing paid advertisement initiatives as well as organic promotions; leading trainings for staff and interns; and maintaining social media guidance and best practices.
- Run social media strategy for American Progress’ policy work.
- Work with policy teams to develop roll-out plans for products; implement tweetstorms and days of action; and use the news cycle to boost key policy priorities.
- Grow American Progress’ online audience and engagement across social media platforms, including on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Develop relationships with influencers to highlight American Progress’ products and policies.
- Train American Progress staff on social media to grow the organization’s online footprint and implement brand standards for social media platforms.
- Devise organic and paid social media strategies and work with policy teams, cross-functional teams, and Art, Editorial, and Video to implement, optimize, and report back on campaigns.
- Manage content creation for social media, including graphics and videos, by collaborating with production and policy teams.
- Collaborate with CAP Action on rollouts and strategy and advise on best practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of five years of experience in social media and/or digital communications.
- Professional experience with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and other emerging social platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask and to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Entrepreneurial, with strong problem-solving and creative thinking skills.
- Working knowledge of American Progress’ issues.
- Nonprofit work experience is a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of Facebook and Twitter advertisements; Trello and Sprout Social knowledge is a plus.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.