American Progress has an immediate opening for a Special Assistant to join the Development team. The Special Assistant will work closely with the Associate Director of Development Operations and the Vice President of Development to provide support for a robust fundraising program in a fast-paced environment. This individual will be responsible for handling Salesforce database entry, reporting, and audits; serving as the first point of contact for donors; and liaising with the Executive and Finance teams on administrative matters; among other activities. This position is ideal for a well-organized, detail-oriented professional who is beginning a career in nonprofit fundraising and is committed to a progressive policy agenda.
- Serve as the Development team’s primary point of contact for donors and other departments, including Executive and Finance.
- Record donations and payments received by the Development team and other departments in the database daily.
- Produce gift receipts, disclosures, and acknowledgement letters for all donations in a timely and accurate fashion; draft new acknowledgement templates annually; draft other donor correspondence as requested by the Vice President and CEO.
- Run daily, weekly, and monthly reports to distribute to internal stakeholders, including the Development, Executive, and Finance teams.
- Coordinate daily flow of briefings, meeting materials, and emails between Development and Executive teams.
- Provide daily administrative support to the Vice President of Development.
- Assist the Associate Director of Development Operations with long-term projects to increase the efficiency of the Development team.
- Communicate with internal and external contacts in a professional and responsive manner; ensure that correspondence with donors is logged.
- Maintain accuracy of current and prospective donor records in Salesforce for the Development team; regularly audit the database to ensure the integrity of Development’s information within it.
- Schedule and organize meetings and appointments, sending invitations, preparing meeting materials, making travel arrangements, and reporting on internal meetings.
- Maintain record of development- and donor-related meetings in Salesforce database and on shared Outlook calendar; prepare drafts of briefing materials where appropriate.
- Maintain current documentation for the position’s business processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Prior experience in a development department or scheduling for a senior professional is a plus.
- Prior experience with Salesforce or other customer relationship management (CRM) databases, such as Raiser’s Edge.
- Commitment to precision and detail.
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills, with an emphasis on timeliness.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and a broad progressive agenda.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Prior experience with Jira, Confluence, Eloqua, and Salsa is a plus.
- Flexibility and eagerness to learn.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Ability to follow instructions and ask clarifying questions.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and work as a member of a team.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.