American Progress seeks a Human Resources Generalist. This position reports to the Human Resources Manager and works closely with all members of the Human Resources team as well as with staff throughout the organization. He/she will assist with managing functional areas of human resource operations, performance management, recruiting, onboarding, and compliance, and will serve as a backup to payroll. We seek candidates with a generalist background who can work with a large staff in a fast-paced environment.
- Administer various human resources procedures for all personnel and make updates to the employee handbook when necessary.
- Assist with new employee orientations.
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in the department’s efficiency and services performed.
- Maintain personnel records and compile reports when needed.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations concerning employment, payroll, and benefits.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- Assist the Payroll and Benefits Manager in processing benefit enrollments and communicating benefit information to employees.
General human resources administration:
- Proactively manage onboarding process of new staff by organizing first day activities, keying system updates in Salesforce, and conducting orientations.
- Establish and maintain paper and electronic HR records including personnel records, I-9s, and other important files.
- Handle all staff employment verification requests.
- Handle timesheet administration to include new hire setups, leave questions, timesheet approval.
- May also perform project work as necessary and other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least three years of experience in the HR field.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, or a related field.
- PHR or SPHR certification is preferred.
- Experience with Ceridian payroll systems.
- Experience with Unanet or Replicon is preferred.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and sense of humor.
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and to handle multiple priorities in an efficient manner.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the organization.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.