American Progress is seeking candidates for the position of Special Assistant for the Democracy and Government Reform team. The Special Assistant will assist the Senior Director with scheduling, event coordination, and some research support as needed and as time allows. This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible individual on whom the policy staff can rely to work independently and deliver high-quality administrative support.
The right candidate will demonstrate an ability to multitask, set priorities in a fast-paced environment, and manage important communication on behalf of senior staff. Applicants must have excellent writing, research, and organizational skills and pay careful attention to deadlines and follow-up communications. Strong candidates will also possess a background and interest in democracy reform policy, which will help them support the team’s impact through programmatic, logistical, administrative, and research work.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences as needed.
- Provide logistical support for all-staff meetings, public events, and conferences.
- Create, organize, and maintain accurate written and electronic files.
- Coordinate staff and visitor travel.
- Process invoices and other administrative forms.
- Assist in the drafting of invitations, talking points, policy memos, and other documents.
- Support original research and analysis on policy and legislative issues.
- Use social media to promote the team’s priorities and research products.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral and written communication skills.
- Superb research and writing ability.
- Previous full-time employment preferred; summer jobs, internships, or part-time work may be sufficient.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Ability to plan ahead, set priorities, and multitask.
- Interest in the substantive issues under the purview of the Democracy and Government Reform team, such as voting rights; money in politics and political reform; and redistricting.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.