American Progress has an immediate opening for a Research Assistant for Women’s Health and Rights. The Research Assistant assists the Women’s Initiative team by providing research support as needed, primarily on topics related to women’s health, rights, and justice. Research on additional issues of women’s equality, from women’s leadership to women’s economic security, may also be needed. This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, and responsible individual on whom the policy staff of the Women’s Initiative team can rely to work independently and deliver high-quality administrative and research support, including quantitative analysis. Successful research assistants demonstrate an ability to multitask, set priorities in a fast-paced environment, and manage important communication on behalf of the team. Successful research assistants have excellent research and organizational skills and pay careful attention to deadlines and follow-up communications. Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact well with high-level policy professionals, both internally and externally, are important.
- Provide research support on key policy areas, including analyzing data sets; reading and summarizing existing research; and reviewing state and federal legislation.
- Write policy memos and other briefing materials.
- Prepare outlines and first drafts of columns, policy briefs, and reports.
- Coordinate scheduling.
- Provide operational support to the team, including processing and filing forms, and provide other administrative support to assist with management of the team, including grant reports.
- Participate in coalition and advocacy efforts, including assisting in the coordination and planning of public and private meetings and events.
- Assist in the development, implementation, management, production, and distribution of products.
- Help coordinate with the organization’s Press and Social Media teams and promote the Women’s Initiative team’s products online regularly.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- One to two years of professional experience.
- Experience working on reproductive health and rights policy issues is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Training or experience in one or more commonly used statistical software package, such as SAS, Stata, R, and Python is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative.
- Passionate about reproductive justice and ensuring health care access for low-income women, women of color, and other groups of women too often excluded from the mainstream narrative because of factors such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, age, or disability.
- Sense of humor and flexibility.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.